Friday, July 21, 2006

marine vs. ali's (round one)

okay, so after an exciting day of a whole lotta nothing, i came home to visitors at the house. they were old family friends from the great state of new mexico. man, i would love check it out sometime. anyway, so a little background before i tell the story. the father of this family is egyptian and the mom is american. i was told that she had intended to join the convent. i wonder what happened? anyway, they have two kids, a son and a daughter who are both muslim. i always wondered what it is like to grow up having parents of different faiths. i imagine that it must be difficult maintaining religious identity. ok, i should get to the point. so the son, a US marine, and my father were chit chatting today about the middle east. and of course, my father and his overly opinionated self (i wonder where i get it from?) kindly stated why he did not support the war in iraq. our friend, the marine, was not happy about that. and i thought it was extremely interesting because all he kept saying was that they needed to get saddam out of there. he was brutal, he was crazy, he was evil, and no one can deny that.

so when we asked about the state of iraq today, he said that they would all kill each other if we were not there. without getting into the nitty gritty of it all, i think many of us can agree that the US went into iraq and "ba7dillo el dinya," which basically means they messed things up. apparently, according to him, none of us can completely understand what it is like since we have not been there. how did i know he was gonna play that card. makes me wonder how he would explain the rapes and the current infrastrucure which includes the complete loss of political and social order. with that said, WHY does this kid think that the US has helped? and the only thing that i could think of was that he was trying to justify his role in the iraq. do not get me wrong, i am not questioning his intentions. i honestly think that he believes that he was there to make it a better place for the iraqi citizens and that in some way he has. but like any job, we need to be able to rationally reflect on what we did and whether what we are doing is the right thing to do. and it is difficult to for one to admit when he or she is wrong. i think that is why people try sooooo hard to justify their actions especially when it resulted in harm. hmmm.... i also wanted to ask another question. how did he feel about attacking a country filled with his muslim brothers and sisters? well, he is here for another week -maybe i can pick his brain a little more....

6 comments:

murmy said...

you know what, iraqis were saying, post saddam removal, "allah yirham ayam saddam". sad huh?

Samira said...

Indeed you are past neo now :)

Strangely enough, I was introduced to this guy, the son of a really close auntie, who has been serving in the Air Force. I've heard random stories about him for about two years now--basically since I've met his mom. He came to visit his parents here for a few days and attended our Muslim community's picnic this weekend. ANYway...I tried to be nice for about one and a half sentences: "Hi;" and after his mom told him I go to school in Mpls, he asked how I liked it and I said, "I like it a lot." Then I turned to his mom and started a completely separate conversation with her as he, interpreting my curtness, walked away. I felt horrible for the rest of the day, mostly because the next person closest to his age for him to talk to was my 15 year old brother. He spent the rest of the whole day with little boys while I restricted myself to a group of sisters all younger than me. Was I rude or what? I totally judged the guy--and I didn't even get far enough to ask about his opinions.

Aliyah, seriously, yell at me. This was totally wrong, and he was nice, and I was mean--even in front of his mom!! :(
Sorry, I'll probably regret posting this comment, but you should know that whereas you were at least civil, I redefined "closed-mindedness."
ugh.

AAA said...

Samira,

Honestly, sometimes it is difficult when our emotions get the best of us. lol, but i am not going to yell at you. the best part of being human, in my opinion, is the fact that we have so much learn. so much to learn from books, school, magazines, art, and even other people. so, even if you do not necessarily agree with what someone is doing; find out why they are doing it in the first place. let them share their experiences. you never know what you will hear and you may be surprised. maybe, this is too optimistic or positive (some say it is my biggest flaw), but i truly believe that, in genertal, people are not ill intentioned. (the recent current events in the middle east have caused me rethink that tho). like i said in my post, people will try to justify anything even if they are blatantly wrong. in short tho, there is always something to learn from someone which only gives you more insight and perspective. which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

keep your eyes out for round 2. it actually gets worse than better. i think.

AAA said...

general*

rima said...

genertal! haha!

yes, that's right, i have nothing more to contribute.

Wanksta said...

Interestingly, I remember this statement from a lecture by a shaykh some years ago quoting a shaykh from 100s of years ago who said that 40 years of tyranny are better than 1 year of anarchy. I think it's a statement which is intuitively difficult to believe until you see it played out in the likes of Iraq. Order is better than disorder, even if the former is unjust. This is why people are speaking of ayyam Saddam kama qaalat ukhtuna Mariam.